A critical Remote Code Execution (RCE) vulnerability has been identified in the WordPress News & Blog Designer Pack – WordPress Blog Plugin plugin. This vulnerability could allow a malicious actor to execute commands on the target website, which could lead to full control of the website.
Florian Hauser discovered and reported this vulnerability.
This vulnerability is caused by a flaw in the way that the News & Blog Designer Pack – WordPress Blog Plugin plugin handles certain requests. The vulnerability allows an attacker to exploit a flaw in the plugin’s code to execute arbitrary commands on the affected website.
Critical (CVSS 3.1 score of 9.8)
All versions of the News & Blog Designer Pack – WordPress Blog Plugin plugin prior to 3.4.2
If a malicious actor is able to exploit this vulnerability, they could:
- Execute arbitrary commands on the affected website.
- Gain backdoor access to the website.
- Take full control of the website.
Immediate action is required to mitigate this critical vulnerability:
- Update Immediately: Update the News & Blog Designer Pack – WordPress Blog Plugin to at least version 3.4.2. This update includes the essential security patch to address the RCE vulnerability.
- Verify the Fix: After applying the update, it is advisable to verify that the vulnerability has been successfully mitigated through a vulnerability assessment or by consulting a security professional.
- Security Audits: Regularly conduct comprehensive security audits on the WordPress site, including plugins and themes, to identify and rectify potential vulnerabilities proactively.
- User Education: Inform users and administrators about the security update and the critical nature of the vulnerability. Encourage them to practice strong authentication and password hygiene.
- Constant Vigilance: Stay vigilant regarding future plugin updates, security advisories, and patches. Promptly apply them to ensure ongoing security.